Milling is the process of grinding, cutting or shaping metal or wood with the help of a rotating tool. The milling is done with the help of a machine called milling machine. This milling machine can help a variety of operations on metals and wood as well. The milling process is used widely in numerous metal industries these days.
Which metals can be milled?
A large number of metals can be milled. Here is a list of millable metals
- Thermoset plastics
The milling process
Milling is done with the help of Milling Machines. Milling machines consist of a rotating tool known as mill cutter. This mill cutter is responsible for the milling operations. The mill cutter moves in a perpendicular fashion to its axis so that the cutting occurs at the circumference of the mill cutter. The mill cutter gets in contact with the workpiece(metal to be worked upon) and the sharp edges of the cutter cut the workpiece again and again until the desired result is achieved.
Different types of milling machines
There are basically two types of milling machines
- Horizontal milling machines: In this type of milling machine, the mill blade is mounted on horizontal arbor above a table like structure known as a universal table. The mill blade of a horizontal milling machine functions and operates at different angles. These type of machines are usually heavy because of the horizontal arbor. Horizontal milling machines also have a large cross-sectional area. The horizontal mill is designed in a way so as to maximize the operability. Horizontal mills are also quick in removing the material off the workpiece. The size of the horizontal mill can range from very small to room-sized large.
- Vertical milling machines: the vertical milling machines have a mill blade that moves in a vertical fashion. The spindle in this kind of mill machines works on the top and bottom of the workpiece. The machinists find the vertical milling machines more easier to operate and work with. Moreover, the vertical machines can do more detailed and precise work. These type of milling machines are generally taller and thus is suitable for die sinking dealing.
Safety measures while dealing with Milling Machines
- Make sure that the workpiece is properly clamped on the milling machine.
- Always use safety glasses while working with the milling machines.
- The machine guards must be in place to avoid flying away of any small pieces.
Few things to consider while buying milling machines
Here is a list of things that you must consider before you buy a milling machine.
- Project requirements
- Axis variants needed
- Complexity of the job
Notice: Undefined variable: subcat in /home/machines/public_html/application/modules/default/controllers/IndexController.php on line 313